The Spam Diaries

News and musings about the fight against spam.
 by Edward Falk

Sunday, July 23, 2006

E-Gold phish underway, beware

This just crossed my desk: Someone is apparently trying to phish E-Gold accounts. The m.o. seems to be the same in all cases: You get an email from someone out who claims to have mysteriously received a great deal of e-gold, possibly from you, and then lost it. The phish asks you to help them straighten the problem out and includes a "screenshot" to show you what the problem is.

I haven't seen a copy of the phish myself, but I wonder if perhaps there is some sort of virus riding in the screenshot.

Anyway, be careful out there.

Update: a reader informs me that the phish does in fact contain a virus. It's not clear yet whether the phish or the virus is the real payload. Most likely both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home