The Spam Diaries

News and musings about the fight against spam.
 by Edward Falk

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Beware: "My Best Photo" virus

I've gotten several of these over the past few days, so I thought I'd give a quick heads-up just in case it helps one less person get infected.

If you get an email from yourself, wanting to share your best photo, and containing a zip file, here's a hint: Don't click on it.

OK, I really didn't have to say that, did I? Well, I'm sure somebody is clicking on it, otherwise, why would I be getting so many copies? If it's not obvious, the attachment is a virus. A crudely-packaged one too, as far as I can tell. Not being a windows user myself, I don't know if you need to actually unpack the zip file and execute the enclosed batch file manually, or there's some automation.

I'm sure this has been thoroughly documented at some of the anti-virus sites, but I thought I'd give it a quick mention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home